News Releases

UC Blue Ash Student Honored as a ‘Hometown Hero’

on

Evan Terry working in the Nursing Lab

Evan is a top student in the nursing program at UC Blue Ash College.

Evan Terry is a military veteran who served two tours of duty in Afghanistan as a combat medic for the U.S. Army. He is also a student in the nursing program at the University of Cincinnati Blue Ash College, working toward a career dedicated to helping others.

While Terry would deny it, the Eaton, Ohio native has earned the right to be called a hero and the Cincinnati Reds recently made it official. Terry was honored for his service and sacrifices as a ‘Hometown Hero’ during the Reds game versus the Los Angeles Dodgers on September 12.

During the ‘Hometown Hero’ celebration, the honoree walks on the roof of the Reds dugout while the announcer reads a brief biography highlighting their service. “I honestly couldn’t even hear the announcer over the roar of the crowd; they were cheering as they gave me a standing ovation,” says Terry. “On my way back to my seat at least 50 people shook my hand and thanked me for my service. It was a very humbling experience.”

Evan Terry during Afghanistan deployment

Evan served two tours of duty in Afghanistan as a combat medic for the U.S. Army.

Josh Monson, the student veteran affairs coordinator at UC Blue Ash, nominated Terry for the honor. It was a nice surprise when he found out he had been selected. Terry credits Monson with giving him a lot of help in making a smooth transition to college after retiring from the Army in 2016.

“I am very thankful to the Cincinnati Reds for recognizing service members, veterans and first responders,” says Terry. “UC Blue Ash has also gone above and beyond in supporting me as a veteran, and I am equally grateful to them.”

As for the next steps in his professional career, Terry plans to graduate from UC Blue Ash this spring and begin working as a registered nurse, while continuing to pursue his Bachelor’s in the Science of Nursing (BSN) degree through UC’s College of Nursing.

About UC Blue Ash College