- We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their
just powers from the consent of the governed, That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People
to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to
them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. -- Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776.
- "The problem with Socialism is that eventually you run out of other peoples money." -- Margaret Thatcher
- "The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel Boorstin.
- "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." -- C.S. Lewis
- "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wise people so full of doubts." -- Bertrand Russell
- "They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty
or safety." -- Benjamin Franklin
- "It is not the critic who counts...the credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose
face is marred by dust and sweat and blood...and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while
daring greatly..." -- Teddy Roosevelt
- "I don't think Microsoft is evil in itself; I just think they make really crappy operating systems." -- Linus Torvalds
- "Do...or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda.
- "Visualize Whirled Peas!" -- Bumper Sticker.
- "If you don't know where you're going, chances are you will end up somewhere else." -- Yogi Berra.
- "Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem." --
Ronald Reagan (a quote bestowed upon me by a former student and retired Marine)
- Dorothy: How can you talk if you haven't got a brain?
Scarecrow: I don't know... But some people without brains do an awful lot of talking... don't they? -- Dorothy and the Scarecrow.
- "Technological progress has merely provided us with more efficient means for going backwards." -- Aldous Huxley.
- "If frogs had wings, they wouldn't bump their as*es when they hopped." -- My Dad.
- "Of all the Charlie Browns in the world, you're the Charlie Browniest." -- Linus.
- "Emphasis on the conceptual elegance to be found in computer science." - sentence in a course description from
Brown Univeristy, circa 1969.
- "The Internet didn't get invented on its own. Government research created the Internet so that all the companies could make money off the Internet." -- Barack Obama, 2012