Teaching online requires the same art as face to face teaching, but it requires a different set of technical skills and intuition to realize that art in the technology mediated environment of an online class. In fact, even many of our face to face classes have online components. Both students and teachers need to be prepared for learning in the online environment.
In the 2012-2013 academic year, we will be offering one seminar each term in Distance Learning Design that we will be offering online. Here is the seminar outline. The seminar will be eight weeks long, with the first seven being exclusively online. The last meeting is an all day peer review of the course you have been working on during the seminar. The goal is to have an online course fully developed, peer reviewed, and ready to go by the end of the session. To register for this seminar, contact Robin Lighter firstname.lastname@example.org.
Research in Distance Learning
Here what the research says about online learning:
- Here is the 2010 report on online learning from the Instructional Technology Council (an affiliated council of the American Association of Community Colleges (AACC)).
- Here is a collection of research papers on online learning from the ITC website.
- Here is a report from the 2010-11 FLC on Hybrid Teaching with recommendations for distance learning issues.
- Here is the Tennessee Board of Regents website with many articles about online learning.
- Here is the TBR iPad apps website that collects and reviews iPad apps and iPad pedagogy: http://livebinders.com/play/play/58780. (If the link won't open properly, copy and paste this URL into your browser navigation bar to see this fabulous collection of resources.)
- PPT Templates for various games
- How to make a Webquest (a psychology example)
- How to use PollEverywhere for real time polling in class
- Very Basic Audacity Tutorial
- How to give audio feedback tutorial
- How to use the Blackboard Journal function to provide audio feedback
- How to create a weighted grade column in Gradebook
- How to create a banner using PPT and Paint
- How to create a banner using PPT and Jing
- How to create an Online Readiness Assessment module
- How to repurpose a face to face course to go online
- Resources for creating and using tests in Blackboard
- How to make an origami paper crane (in case you need to take a break and relax)