Lists

It’s the Final Countdown: Tips to get Through the End of the Semester.

on

We Can Do It.

The end of the semester is looming and stress is in the air.

Between studying for exams and getting all of those final essays and projects turned in on time, how do you keep going?!

We’ve interviewed UC Blue Ash students and professors on their favorite and most effective ways to get through the final stretch.

Food & Caffeine

“Taco Bell always gets me through man, Baja Blast! -Michael F., Organizational Leadership

“I drink two hot chocolates a day to keep me going.” -Jean S., Early Childhood Education

Zebra Cakes.” -Ryan H., Psychology

“Starbucks and time management get me through. I also eat a lot of pizza rolls.” -Marissa Y., Mortuary Science

Espresso and all nighters in the library” -Mariah C., Nursing

Affirmations

“I just stay calm and manage my time and remind myself that I have enough time to get everything done.-Emily G., Graphic Design

“This is for what you’re doing in the future, so why would you slack now?” -Carly B., Undecided

You’re almost there! You didn’t do all this work for nothing so don’t give up now!” -Kyra M. Education

“I keep the countdown going, only three weeks left! It reminds me that I’m on a time crunch, makes me think ‘ok, I have this grade now, so what do I need to do before the end of the semester?’ And I always make it happen.” -Allie B, Education

Study Techniques

I personally make lots of lists to get myself through the semester: To Do lists, priority lists, study material lists, etc. It helps me stay organized and not get overwhelmed.

“I listen to classical music when I study, especially ‘The Piano Guys.'” -Michael F., Organizational Leadership

I make sure I get time outside, especially being an I.T. major, so I’m not just staring at a computer all day.” -Michelle T., Information Technology

Professional Advice: Tips from the professors who know what they’re talking about

“1. Good preparation – begins the first day of class, not a week before a test or more importantly, not the night before. It is only through a steady concentration of reading the textbook, taking notes and reviewing using a variety of methods that is going to build up confidence, memory and relieve anxiety.

2. Sleep – The brain consolidates, organizes and rehearses the facts which you learn during the day. Everyone needs between 7-9 hours of sleep each night. Shortening your set sleep schedule shortens your brain’s ability to store memory and recall memory.

3. Diet – Good nutrition means the brain will get the proper nutrients to perform well. Blood sugar levels will stay constant, neurotransmitters will be nourished and the brain will be able to repair itself and perform other essential tasks that are needed to retain and analyze information.

4. ExerciseGrows neurons! Aside from that it reduces anxiety, is calming and provides the brain with more blood flow (glucose) and oxygen so it can work more efficiently.

-Sharon Disher,

Professor of Study Skills

“1. Get enough sleep. A sleep-deprived brain just doesn’t work well. This is true in the long term (generally try to get enough), and in the short term (NEVER stay up all night studying before a big exam). Sleep helps your brain work at maximum efficiency, and without enough sleep it just won’t do what you need it to.

2. Study in chunks of no more than 20-40 minutes at a time on the same topic. After that amount of time you will stop absorbing information very well. Take a break from studying completely for a few minutes or switch to a different topic for another 20-40-minute chunk. I’ve had more than one student tell me that this tip radically improved their ability to learn course material.

3. From my own experience with learning: the best way to learn anything is to teach it to someone else. Explain a freshly learned concept to a friend or anyone else who will listen. If you can explain it so that it makes sense to them, then you know it. If you can’t, you don’t know it well enough yet.

4. The worst way to study (other than not studying at all) is to simply reread the same material over and over. It will start to feel familiar, giving you the false impression that you really know it. You can only really identify where the gaps in your understanding are by doing something like quizzing yourself, writing a short summary of the information, or explaining it to someone else.”

-Julie Turner, PhD,

History Professor and former Study Skills Instructor

Still Stressed?

Stop by the Go for the Gold event hosted by the Student Ambassadors on December 1!

Or check out the UCBA Academic Support Labs

About Olive Wright

Olive Wright is the Communications Intern with the Communications Department at UC Blue Ash College for the 2017-18 academic year. Look forward to seeing Olive's contributions to UCBANOW and www.ucblueash.edu all year long.

Recommended for you